Instagram has a powerful 1 billion month-to-month lively customers—that’s hundreds of thousands of individuals logging in every day. It’s clearly an incredible place to attach with potential clients, notably youthful shoppers (latest information reveals almost 62% of Instagram customers are aged 18-34).
Whereas there are various methods to advertise your model on the platform, together with operating advertisements and sponsoring posts, one of the efficient (and typically free) methods to develop your viewers is by internet hosting an Instagram takeover.
What’s an Instagram takeover?
A novel advertising and marketing tactic for your corporation, an Instagram takeover is whenever you accomplice with somebody to take over your account for a short while, whether or not it’s in the future or a number of. The host declares themselves to your viewers and proceeds to put up updates all through the required time. This host of the Instagram takeover could be an worker, an influencer, a enterprise or an business professional.
Takeovers assist improve engagement and attain on Instagram. They provide your viewers a novel perspective of your corporation. They’ll additionally assist elevate your model, showcasing key merchandise or differentiators to current clients and new audiences.
Typically takeovers are extra about elevating different folks than merely selling your model. An important instance of that is when the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) had their March Resident Scholar, Dr. Katherine Mills, take over their account for a day.
Dr. Mills posted to the ASA account all through the day, highlighting conferences with ASA management and politicians throughout a visit to Washington, DC advocating for the doctor anesthesiologists and secure take care of sufferers.
How do Instagram takeovers work?
With an Instagram takeover, you’re handing over the proverbial keys of your account over to a visitor for a specified time, whether or not it’s for in the future or a number of days. That individual (or enterprise) posts their very own content material in your account. If this makes you nervous, don’t fear—we’ll clarify how takeovers work (together with how one can defend your self from dangers) and supply some recommendations on how to verify your takeover is profitable.
How do companies profit from Instagram takeovers?
Instagram takeovers are a contemporary solution to generate buzz about your model or merchandise. They supply many advantages to companies, together with the chance to collaborate with well-liked influencers or content material creators who’re related to your viewers.
Listed below are a few of our favourite advantages of Instagram takeovers:
The power to achieve a brand new viewers
When an influencer with a big following takes over your account, you’ve the potential to achieve new audiences. Influencers will notify their followers of the takeover by posting an Instagram Story or put up to go over to your account to comply with alongside. Takeovers assist construct your followers on Instagram, as a number of the visitor host’s followers will doubtless begin following and interacting with you consequently. This profit can final lengthy after the preliminary takeover has ended.
The chance to construct belief and credibility
Partnering with a visitor host helps set up belief with their followers. This partnership offers your organization credibility with a brand new viewers who might not learn about you or your corporation. It lends social proof since folks belief the suggestions of others. When an influencer promotes your model on their very own web page—and their followers see that content material—you’re extra more likely to earn the belief of these people.
Partaking with an worker or business insider offers you credibility with your individual followers, notably when that individual is an professional of their area.
Elevated engagement together with your posts and account
Instagram takeovers present a compelling solution to encourage extra engagement in your posts. Should you’re collaborating with somebody who has an lively, loyal following, you’ll be able to count on to see extra Instagram likes, feedback and shares in your content material. This elevated engagement can even assist improve your attain as a result of Instagram’s algorithm favors posts with excessive engagement.
A behind-the-scenes take a look at your corporation
Takeovers on Instagram give your followers a glimpse below the hood of your corporation. They assist showcase an genuine facet of your corporation and may spotlight your organization tradition, services or products.
For instance, let’s say you personal a bakery. You possibly can do an Instagram takeover with one in every of your pastry cooks and have them present your followers how they make a few of your hottest desserts.
Extra visitors and gross sales for you
By rising your model’s attain and engagement, Instagram takeovers can even result in extra visitors and gross sales for your corporation. Should you’re selling a brand new services or products, an influencer takeover may help get the phrase out.
Make it simple to your followers to navigate to your web site by coordinating your and your visitor host’s Instagram hyperlink in bio instruments. You too can use hashtags to extend publicity and discovery (extra on that beneath).
The way to run an efficient Instagram takeover in 7 steps
Take a while to plan your technique, establish your preferrred visitor hosts who align together with your model and values, and promote your occasion will allow you to get essentially the most out of your Instagram takeover. The next steps are targeted on serving to you propose the proper takeover.
1. Set up your takeover targets and KPIs
Earlier than you begin searching for visitor hosts, it’s essential to determine your targets for the takeover. What do you need to obtain (e.g., model consciousness, follower development, improved put up engagement, buyer leads, and so forth.)?
Make sure that to determine some KPIs (key efficiency indicators) so you’ll be able to measure the takeover marketing campaign’s efficiency. These might embrace:
- The variety of new followers you acquire in the course of the takeover
- The quantity of engagement in your posts
- The variety of web site clicks or gross sales you generate
The targets must be clear to everybody concerned within the takeover, so posts could be tailor-made that will help you obtain them.
2. Select a takeover host
If you’re planning your takeover, establish a bunch that is sensible to your model. They need to have the same target market and be revered of their area. Contemplate the next when deciding on your host:
- Influencers: Instagram influencers usually, however not at all times, have a variety of followers. Their followers view them as specialists of their area of interest. Collaborating with an influencer places your model in entrance of their loyal viewers. Influencer posts, paired with hashtags, can even foster engagement and curiosity.
- Clients: Giving a buyer the keys to your account gives social proof and is an efficient solution to exhibit your merchandise. The shopper’s voice is a strong one. It fosters a sense of group and demonstrates that your corporation values buyer enter.
- Workers: Worker takeovers could make manufacturers appear extra relatable. A takeover offers your workers some recognition and divulges the human facet of your corporation. Any such worker advocacy gives a novel look into your corporation.
- Business leaders and specialists: Contemplate doing a takeover with an business luminary, somebody who provides worthwhile information about your area of interest. Specialists can present content material to your followers whereas reinforcing your organization’s management.
- Companies: Partnering with one other enterprise—notably one with a firmly established buyer base—can elevate your model in your business and introduce your corporation or merchandise to a brand new viewers.
3. Choose a sort of takeover
There’s multiple solution to execute a profitable Instagram takeover. It’s essential to be artistic, but additionally to align your takeover to your particular targets. Listed below are three frequent approaches to think about:
- Instagram put up takeovers: Any such takeover usually includes having your visitor host take over your organization’s Instagram account for a hard and fast time period and put up content material associated to your business, services or products to your feed. It’s a simple method to a takeover that may be very efficient in selling your model.
- Instagram Story takeovers: A Story takeover includes having your visitor host share a collection of photographs or movies to your organization’s Instagram Tales. These behind-the-scenes, action-oriented methods generate partaking content material whereas giving your followers a sneak peek of one thing particular to your corporation.
- Stay video takeovers: Stay video takeovers generate pleasure and construct anticipation for an occasion or announcement (e.g., a brand new product launch.) You too can use reside video to host Q&As, bulletins or interviews.
4. Define Instagram takeover tips
When you’ve chosen your visitor host and kind of takeover, it’s time to create some tips. This may assist make sure the visitor’s posts are aligned together with your model voice and targets. Your tips ought to reply the next questions:
- What sort of content material shall be included within the takeover?
- How lengthy will the takeover final?
- Will the content material be pre-planned or spontaneous?
- Who will approve the content material earlier than it’s posted?
- What are the necessities for posting content material?
Don’t be too restrictive. Set your expectations, however permit the visitor host sufficient freedom to be artistic and use their very own voice.
5. Set permissions to your account
Now it’s time to offer your visitor host entry to your account. A technique to do that is to supply the password to the visitor host (simply be certain that that is somebody you’ll be able to belief).
If the visitor host is an influencer, they’ll doubtless have their very own Instagram Enterprise Account. Join their account together with your
Enterprise Account by the Instagram settings. This may permit them to put up content material to your feed as in the event that they have been posting from their very own account.
You too can give visitor hosts entry to your Instagram account by including them as a contributor to your Meta Enterprise Supervisor. Meta gives detailed directions for a way to do that by way of their Assist Middle.
Alternatively, you’ll be able to streamline permissions administration by implementing an approval course of with a social media administration platform like Sprout Social. With a message approval workflow, you’ll be able to collaborate successfully with companions and company on tone and content material.
6. Select a branded hashtag
You may promote your takeover forward of time utilizing Instagram hashtags. Any branded hashtags related to the takeover must be simple to recollect, particular and related.
Branded hashtags assist your followers maintain observe of the takeover and see associated posts in a single place. You too can promote the hashtag to encourage your followers to make use of it when posting in regards to the takeover to extend publicity and discovery.
7. Finalize the small print and launch
The ultimate step includes a number of key particulars together with selecting when to put up. We’ve put collectively some greatest practices about when to put up on social media to offer you a place to begin. Nevertheless, you also needs to assessment your account analytics to see what instances have traditionally been greatest for you.
This also needs to be the time to find out if you would like a full account or semi-account takeover:
- Full account takeover: The visitor host has full management of your account for an agreed-upon time-frame (e.g., a day, 6 hours, a weekend).
- Semi-account takeover: The visitor host can put up to your feed, however you keep some management over different elements of the account. For instance, you would possibly approve all content material earlier than it’s posted or schedule posts forward of time. Social media administration platforms like Sprout make it simple to plan and schedule Instagram posts.
You’re able to launch, however there’s another factor…
Selling your Instagram takeover
Together with your takeover able to launch, it’s time to start out selling it on Instagram and past. This may assist guarantee your followers are conscious of the Instagram takeover and get them excited in regards to the content material to come back.
Earlier than the day: Tease the takeover on Instagram and your different social media channels. Ship an e mail to your subscribers. Request the visitor host put up in regards to the takeover to their followers and group. You too can announce the takeover in your web site.
On the day of: Publish a photograph or video in your Instagram feed or Story to announce the beginning of the takeover and introduce the host. Make sure that to make use of the takeover hashtag. The visitor host can repost this content material to their followers as nicely.
After the day: Recap the takeover in your web site and share highlights on social media. You may even create an Instagram Tales Spotlight reel with the very best posts from the takeover (your visitor host will doubtless need to do that too).
And, after all, make sure to thank your host.
Measure your takeover’s success
After the mud settles, assessment your takeover’s efficiency and consider metrics towards the established KPIs. Take a while to grasp what labored and what didn’t so you’ll be able to optimize your takeover technique for subsequent time. Listed below are a number of key metrics to measure:
- Variety of new followers: Maintain observe of what number of new followers you gained in the course of the takeover interval and examine this quantity to your common price of development.
- Publish engagement: Assessment your put up engagement (Likes, feedback, shares) to see if it elevated versus what’s typical to your account.
- Hashtag utilization and mentions: Assessment how usually your hashtag was used and see if you happen to can spot any patterns. Additionally, verify for any new mentions of your model.
- Web site visitors: Test your web site analytics to see if visitors elevated or visitors patterns modified.
- Web site conversions/signups: Did you see a spike in gross sales or a rise in conversion (e.g., publication signups)?
A social media administration software like Sprout can simplify marketing campaign measurement related to an Instagram takeover. Sprout gives dashboard-style Instagram analytics that allow you to simply see put up efficiency, hashtag utilization, viewers engagement and extra.
Examples of Instagram takeovers
Now that you understand how to execute an Instagram takeover, try some examples from manufacturers which have finished it nicely.
Samantha Pollino’s Hamilton Musical takeover
In Might 2019, Samantha Pollino hosted an Instagram Story takeover on the official Hamilton Musical Instagram account. Pollino performed Lady 2 within the Phillip Firm manufacturing of the present. She did the takeover when the present was in Dallas, posting Story movies all through the day of behind-the-scenes footage. She used Story parts, including hashtags, Instagram handles, stickers and music to her posts. She additionally engaged with followers—for instance, inviting them to ask questions which she promised to reply on Twitter.
Pollino has slightly below 21,000 followers on Instagram, so it is a nice instance of how an insider with a modest following can produce some partaking and distinctive content material.
Penn Admissions scholar takeover
In 2019, the College of Pennsylvania Admissions division gave one in every of their scholar ambassador’s the keys to their Instagram Tales for a day. She recorded her day on campus as a UPenn scholar: strolling to class with mates, having fun with a meal within the cafeteria and attending class. She even recorded one in every of her professors writing on a chalkboard.
The takeover gives a quick, however impactful, glimpse into the lifetime of a scholar at Penn, full with some compelling footage of the campus, school rooms and scholar areas.
Jessica Capshaw’s three hundredth episode takeover for Gray’s Anatomy
Many might know Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Roberts within the long-running ABC present Gray’s Anatomy. Capshaw took over the present’s official Instagram Tales to rejoice the milestone three hundredth episode. This gave the present’s followers and followers a novel glimpse into the present’s manufacturing.
Capshaw’s posts included cameos from fellow solid members, a quick highlight of the hair and make-up trailer, pictures of the solid and crew gathering in a eating space and plenty of extra insider treats.
Launch and handle Instagram takeovers with Sprout
Instagram takeovers present a strong means for companies to combine up their account’s content material, improve engagement and attain new audiences. Sprout is the proper software that will help you plan, execute and measure your Instagram takeover. With Sprout, you’ll be able to simply see put up efficiency, hashtag utilization and viewers engagement.
Obtain our Instagram for Manufacturers information and discover ways to construct a complete high-impact Instagram advertising and marketing technique.